Sunday 25 December 2011

How to obtain birth certificate (பிறப்புச் சான்றிதழ்) ? (Special reference to Tamil Nadu)

Birth Certificate

  • A Birth certificate is one of the most import identity documents. If you possess this certificate you can benefit from entire gamut of services offered by Indian government to its citizens.
  • It is the most authentic document that proofs someone’s birth place

Why it is necessary ?

Birth Certificate is necessary because it serves to establish the date and fact of one's birth for a whole range of purposes, like

  1. acquiring the Right to Vote,

  2. admission to Schools and to the Government Service,

  3. claiming the Right to marry at the legally permissible age,

  4. settlement of inheritance and property rights,

  5. Obtaining Government-issued identity documents like a driving license or passport etc.,

What you need to do ?

  • To apply for a Birth Certificate, you must first register the birth
Registration of birth

Whom to register with ?

  • You have to report and register the birth of the child with the  concerned local authorities at the place of occurrence of birth within 21 days from the birth of the child

Who are the concerned local authorities ? or Whom to contact ?

    Area / Place of birth Birth Registers
    Village Panchayat Village Administrative Officer
    Primary Health Care Centre Health Inspector
    Town Panchayat/ Corporation / Municipal Area Sanitary Inspectors of the Division

How to register birth?

  • Visit the office of the birth register at the place of birth (VAO office /Town Panchayat office /Municipal office/Corporation office) . For example, if your child is born in a hospital located in a Town panchayat area, you have to visit the concerned Town panchayat office.
  • If your child born in primary health centre (PHC) of your village. Visit the PHC and approach health inspector.
  • Collect the birth registration form (See: Sample of birth registration form).
  • Fill the complete details in the birth registration form. Some important details include name of the child, date of birth, sex, place of birth. (So, name your child before  register his/her birth. Birth certificate will be issued on the name of your child)
  • If the birth taken place in hospital/health care centre or maternity home or other like institution, you have to attach a certificate from the person or medical institution that conducted the delivery.
  • When the Birth has taken place in a house, the head of the house or nearest relative of the head of the House or oldest person in the family has to report and register the birth.
  • Submit the duly filled form to the birth register (VAO /Town Panchayat office /Municipal office/Corporation office)

Issue of birth certificate

  • Birth certificate is issued after verification with actual records of the concerned hospital.
  • Free copy of birth certificate is issued if you register the birth within 21 days  of occurrence of birth

Delayed registration

  • If you have not registered within the 21 days from the date of birth. The procedure to be followed is as follows.
After expiry of 21 days but within 30 days Registered on payment of a late registration fee
After thirty days of birth, but within one year Registered only with the written permission of the Officer prescribed in this behalf and on payment of late registration fee
One year after the date of birth Registered only on orders of the First Class Judicial Magistrate and on payment of a late registration fee
  • If you are registering the death after 30 days of occurrence, but within one year, you need the written permission of the concerned officers. The concerned officers are as follows

Local authorities Officers
Village Panchayat Village Panchayat President
Corporation Commissioner
Municipal Areas Commissioner

Application for birth certificate

  • If you require birth certificate at later date, you have to apply to the concerned local authority at the place of birth
  • Collect the application form from the VAO office/Town Panchayat office/Municipal office/ Corporation office as the case may be. ( See: Model application form of birth certificate prescribed by Chennai corporation, Madurai corporation, Coimbatore corporation, Salem Municipal corporation)
  • Fill the application form giving all the details like name of your child, date of birth, place of birth, hospital address, your residential address at the time of your child birth.
  • Pay the requisite fee
  • Submit the application form in the VAO office/Town Panchayat office/Municipal office/ Corporation office.

26 comments:

  1. SIR/MADAM am surya,my age is 21,am not had birth certificate,now how can i apply for it................

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAI SIR/MAM MY AGE IS 22 STILL NOW I DONT HAVE A BIRTH CERTIFICATE.I WAS BORN IN CHIDAMBARAM AND MY NATIVE PLACE IS KUMBAKONAM.GUIDE ME TO OBTAIN THE BIRTH CERTIFICATE.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Manikanda Prabhu,

      Good Morning to you, my self also facing same problem, if you get any ideas or procedure kindly inform to me. Thx for your help

      Thx
      Sankar Kumar Pandy

      Delete
  3. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. and reply me "aishjack457@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi , i am also same problem.if you know send me the details

      Delete
  4. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. In my birth certificate date of birth is mentioned as 10th april 1989..
    but all other certificates like voter id, tc, driving licence all mentioned as 26 th July 1989. Now i want to change the DOB in Birth certificate the same as in certificates.. please help me.. my mail id is karthik.sbn@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi did u get any reply for this post. If u have got any answer please let me know. because even I also have same issue

      Delete
  5. Prabhatharani june 14 2013

    Sir,iam 21 year but i don't have birth certificate how to apply for birth certificate i don't father and mother so pls help me my mail id is prabhatharani@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. sir i am 29 yrs i don't have birth certificate how to apply for my birth certificate.please reply to my mail id's murugalakshmi.sathish@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. R. Imran Khan 22 August 2013
    Sir or Madam,
    I am 23 years i don't have a birth certificate. But in Government GO whose birth after Jan 26 1989 they should submit birth certificate for applying passport. Inspite off I don't have a passport. So pls, give useful information for about this to my mail. rimranism@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. how 2 get a birth certificate as soon as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi,
    I was born at my home in Gopasandram,Dodda Bellur Post, Kelamangala Panchayath, Denkannekottai (t) Krishnagiri Dist,. T.N i am 23 yrs i don't have birth certificate how to apply for my birth certificate.please reply to my mail id 'yuvi.raj1989@gmail.com'

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi,
    I was born at my home in Gopasandram,Dodda Bellur Post, Kelamangala Panchayath, Denkannekottai (t) Krishnagiri Dist,. T.N i am 23 yrs i don't have birth certificate how to apply for my birth certificate.please reply to my mail id 'yuvi.raj1989@gmail.com'

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. and reply me "sahayam1312@gmail.com"

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. and reply me to shalubiotechnologist@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hi , i am also same problem, if you know send me the details.


      sivachsm@gmail.com

      Delete
  13. SIR, I WAS BORN ON 1989, HOW CAN I GET BIRTH CERTIFICATE? SIR

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. Please tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. Please drop me a mail.. ovijaywithlove@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. i have affidavit but in passport authorities want birth certificate.. so how i got my birth certificate pls reply to my mail id kamrajv8@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. sir i am 28 yrs i don't have birth certificate how to apply for my birth certificate.My parents also not registered. please reply to my mail id's sivachsm@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. and reply me "p.munusamy01@gmail.com"

    ReplyDelete
  18. sir i need my birth certificate from the corporation office because of my childrens school need community certificate or else they cant go for public exam please kindly help me resp.madam/sir.thanking you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. hi im facing same prob eveni need apply im 24 nw.. how cn i gt it??

    ReplyDelete
  20. ir,I need to apply passport. for my date of birth it is mandatory to submit only birth certificate. but my parents didn't registered in hospital or even in municipality. i need your help. How can I get the new birth certificate. Please tell me the procedure for obtaining the new birth certificate. Please drop me a mail.. balasankari22@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really appreciate this wonderful post that you have provided for us. I assure this would be beneficial for most of the people. pasaport almak için gerekli evraklar

    ReplyDelete