Who can apply ?
If a head of the family or any family member expires, the next direct legal heir of the deceased such as wife/husband/son/daughter/mother can apply for legal-heirship certificate.
Why it is necessary ?
It is required for following purposes
- If the person who died is a Government servant, legal heir certificate is required for sanction of family pension, and for getting appointment on compassionate grounds.
- Receiving Government dues such as Government. Provident Fund, Gratuity and arrear salaries of the deceased employee of the State and Central Government
- The legal-heirship certificate required for the purpose of transferring bank account, electricity connection, telephone connection, house tax etc.,
- Receiving non-statutory ex-gratia payment
Steps to be followed:
- Obtain death certificate of the deceased (How to obtain death certificate)
- Visit your concerned Tahsildar office and get the application form for legal heirship certificate (See: Model legal heirship application form of Tamil Nadu)
- Duly fill the application form and affix Rs.2 court-fee stamp on the application form.
- Attach the following documents along with application form
- Xerox copy of the first and last page of the ration card
- Original Death certificate
- Pension payment slip of the deceased in case of a pensioner (issued by the office of Accountant General).
- Service certificate of the deceased in case of serving employee (issued by the head of office / department).